I had never ever made a friand until I made these the other day, now this Fruity Friands recipe is my new favourite go-to and I have made several batches. This is a great recipe for getting some extra fruit and fibre into your families diet. I added frozen raspberries, but you could add any fruit you wanted to. This recipe uses coconut instead of almonds.
This recipe comes for Nourish – the Cookbook by Vicki Ravlich-Horan which is based on recipes from the Nourish Magazine. I love the recipes in this book. For me they are perfect, approachable, simple and tasty. This one particularly suitable for the kids lunch box.
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup of coconut
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 125g butter, melted
- frozen or fresh fruit of your choice (I used frozen raspberries)
- Mix all ingredients, except the fruit, in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour into greased muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the fruit on top of the muffins.
- Bake in a moderate oven (about 180C) for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- These freeze well, and are best eaten within a couple of days when they are fresh and moist.
Mummy to three small boys